Estimated Reading Time: 5 minutes
Why choose a Gray Man workout when according to reviewers the Netflix movie about him was only ‘watchable’?
Good question. Several answers.
First, the books by the author Mark Greaney are terrific! Although I almost always like books better than movies, watching is fun and this film is all about action. You have to be pretty fit to pull off many of the escapades that the Gray Man pulls off in this film.
Next, in contrast to more professional reviewers, Rotten Tomatoes viewers gave it a 90%. One person writes:
A non-stop thrill ride from beginning to end.
The Gray Man boasts an impressive cast, exciting action, great locations and plenty of cool characters!!!!!!!!!
The Gray Man is a super solid action film that constantly pumps adrenaline into the veins of it’s viewers…
Most importantly, though, at least from my perspective, a superficial Google search turns up all sorts of workout, diet, and lifestyle listings for the Gray Man character (aka Court Gentry aka Six). There’s even a Gray Man Theory, purporting to uncover his psychology, along with instructions on how to blend in and avoid notice, attributes that seem to be especially popular with preppers and survivalists.
Want to know more before you think about getting started? Here’s a short synopsis:
When the CIA’s most skilled operative, whose true identity is known to none, accidentally uncovers dark agency secrets, a psychopathic former colleague puts a bounty on his head, setting off a global manhunt by international assassins.
Now, back to my Google search. Many of the topics I found focus on what Ryan Gosling who plays the Gray Man did to get in shape. Ten of his habits are listed below. And women, don’t despair. Although all of the hints can be unisex, I’ve added #11 – a bonus just for you.
First a note:
Those of you who are more cerebral – or totally uninterested in getting fit – can click here for a post relating to Cold War Foreign Affairs. Those of you who made New Year’s resolutions about diet and/or exercise will want to keep reading.
This post includes affiliate links for products available on Amazon. You never pay more if you purchase your Amazon product from Cold War Studies. Thanks for your support!
10 Fitness Hints from The Gray Man
1. Before working out, you’ll want to know that you’re eating right. That’s where the Gray Man diet comes in. The diet focuses on consuming whole, nutrient-dense foods while avoiding processed and sugary foods. It emphasizes lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats. You can read about it here.
2. The Gray Man’s fitness regime incorporates strength training, cardio exercises, and flexibility training.
- Strength Training: Gosling incorporates strength training exercises such as weightlifting and bodyweight exercises into his routine. This helps build and tone muscles. Do you want to do the same? Here are some of the best core fitness adjustable dumbbells for home workouts that are available on Amazon and recommended by Wirecutter, the New York Times consumer site.
- Cardio Exercises: To improve cardiovascular health and burn calories, Gosling includes cardio exercises like running, cycling, and swimming in his routine.
- Flexibility Training: Gosling understands the importance of flexibility and includes exercises like yoga and stretching to improve flexibility and prevent injuries. Need a new yoga mat? Try this pick from Wirecutter.
3. Consider martial arts training. There’s a great deal of action in this film, so to make fight scenes look realistic, Gosling is said to have done seven months of martial arts training and choreography. While we usually think of Judo or Karate when we think of martial arts, Tai Chi and Qi Gong are considered by many to be the “gentle martial arts.” If you’re interested in this gentler version I highly recommend Sifu Anthony and his Flowing Zen Academy. He has some free exercises you can try. (This is not an affiliate link.)
4. NASA has studied exercises that will keep astronauts in shape while on space missions. It’s speculated that Gosling followed their recommendations which include weightlifting, combined with HIIT. You can find the astronaut workout program here.
5. According to Live Life in Sneakers, it’s safe to assume that intense choreographed combat training was integral to filming The Gray Man. They also refer to the NASA exercises. You can read their article here. It notes that Gosling also had to be fit for his Ken role in the Cold War era movie Barbie.
6. Now I’m really out of my bailiwick. Ever wonder how a special ops instructor evaluates candidates? Would the Gray Man have made the grade? Check out the information here.
7. Feel like you need more advanced training? I don’t have a clue and am certainly not endorsing. But here’s a sales pitch for “The Grey Man Gear Sandbag Trainer.”
It’s made in partnership with Brute Force, the leader in unstable load training. (Whatever that means.) The Grey Man Gear Sandbag Trainers are 100% American Made and are ideal for intermediate to advanced level training for functional strength development and conditioning.
At $149.95, I think the one described is a little expensive. Here’s one on Amazon that’s less expensive. Are they comparable? That’s for you to decide.
8. Want to watch how the Gray Man might train. Take a look at this short video.
9. You may want to top things off with survival training. Thinking about nature and wilderness school? I’ve heard of Alderleaf Widlerness College. I don’t know anything about them so be sure to do your due diligence.
10. Finally: Interested in something a bit more complex than diet and exercise? The Gray Man is a workout for your serotonin according to The Cranberra Times. Here’s their review.
11. Here’s a bonus just for women since they play a major role in The Gray Man movie. hints are from Women’s Health Magazine and Ana de Armas (a key character in the film). The Click here for hints just for you.
If you’re exhausted from reading this and just want to be a couch potato, you can watch the movie on Netflix, pick up a book on Amazon, or make a trip to your local library.
Whatever you decide Happy January!!
Photograph courtesy of Netflix.